Foodiva's Kitchen: For The Love of Polvoron & YBR

Monday, May 9, 2011

For The Love of Polvoron & YBR


Since I first tasted polvoron a long time ago, I've been wanting to make it. If you've ever eaten these before, you'll know that polvoron is a soft, dusty, dense and magnificently crumbly shortbread of Spanish origin made from powdered milk, flour, sugar and sometimes nuts. When I finally remembered, I scoured the net for a really good, simple polvoron recipe. At around the same time, I miraculously discovered a tiny polvoron maker/press at my local baking supplies store (bearing in mind that I don't reside in a Spanish-speaking country here, nor do we have much Spanish influences. Well, apart from having an army of Argentinian polo horses, if you want to be pedantic about it). Talk about the planets aligning at the same time, hey!

 L-R: Dragonfruit, Matcha and Plain Polvorons


 The process: Gather, press, release and presto! Then wrap in cellophane to store.




I'm thinking that this would probably be my best recipe this month...but I haven't totally decided. You'll just have to wait and see if I have more tricks up my pantry! ;-) For those in the know, every month, I try to submit to the Your Best Recipe event hosted by that crazy-talented Mexican chick in Prague, Nancy of Spicie Foodie. If you haven't checked out my YBR contribution for April yet, please click Nancy's post here and look up the others too while you're at it!

Polvoron
Plain Basic Recipe (approx. 1kg)
Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup powdered milk (I used Anlene low fat, ultra-high calcium for geriatrics like me)
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup melted butter, cooled thoroughly

Method:
1. Sieve the flour into a thick-bottomed, non stick pan and toast on medium heat, stirring constantly, until flour turns light brown. Transfer the roasted flour in a bowl right away to prevent further cooking.
2. Add powdered milk and sugar into the mixing bowl, stir to mix. Then add the melted butter, mix with a spoon and press the flour to ensure there are no lumps.
3. Take the polvoron mold, fill it with the polvoron mixture by pressing down on the flour until it is fully filled. Press down hard to compact the mixture before releasing it from the mold. Add more butter if the mixture in not cohesive enough.
4. Carefully wrap a polvoron in cellophane or colored Japanese paper. Store in an airtight container.
5. If you want to try the different Flavorings, divide the polvoron mixture above into 4 portions (approximately 150g dry mixture each, before the addition of butter). Leave one portion plain.
To each of the other portions:
Matcha polvoron - Add 1 teaspoon matcha powder to dry ingredients, before adding 1/4 cup cooled, melted butter.
Chocolate polvoron - Melt 25g dark or milk chocolate in 1/4 cup melted butter, cool, then add to dry ingredients. You can also add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to the dry ingredients before adding the butter.
Red dragonfruit polvoron - Scoop a tablespoonful of dragonfruit flesh, press through a small sieve into 1/4 cup melted butter. Stir until pink color is incorporated in the butter. You can also tip the seeds and remaining flesh in the sieve into the butter. Add this cooled butter mixture to the dry ingredients.

25 comments:

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) said...

Maya- Wishing you a belated happy mother's day!! I've been gone all day, so sorry this message is late. And those Polvorans are out of this world girlie. Love the flavors you chose and that wrap. You're the most creative baker out there. Bon Appetit? Saveur? Are you listening?? xoxo

SKIP TO MALOU said...

this is definitely a gourmet kind of polvoron. I love it... just love it. Among the flavors that you fused in the dragonfruit flavor intrigues me most. I love the packaging too.
I hope you had a great mother's day!

Unknown said...

Hahaha, thank you, sweetie! Mother's Day was celebrated by me not having to do any cooking yesterday... It was faboosh!

Unknown said...

Malou, I think I looked through your cooking group for Filipino dishes and was inspired by the polvoron recipes featured! I just thought I'd give it my own twist ;-). Thanks for the Mother's Day greetings, hope you had a lovely Sunday too!

Raji said...

These polvoron's looks amazingly beautiful..love your mould and the presentation is superb.

Anonymous said...

These look really tasty! I like the colors you picked out!

Roxan said...

Maya, I LOVE LOVE LOVE polvoron. So glad to see that you made it! Once I had a bunch of polvoron that I couldn't finish, so I crumbled it up and made ice cream out of it. It was so good - tasted like butterfinger ice cream!

PS this is Roxan from kitchen meditation. I have a new blog!

adorasbox said...

As always, you apply your diva touch in your food. This is a Philippine favourite, too. The dragon fruit one looks so exotic. They are so beautifully presented.

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Those polvoron are too cool, I want a press! Looks so easy yet sooo beautiful!

the [sugar] apothecary said...

That press is awesome! Perfect flavor choices too :)

Unknown said...

Roxan, that's such a great idea to crumble polvoron up into ice cream topping! Not that you'd require much effort because they're so crumbly, anyway ;-). Checked out your new site, it's cool!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Adora. I had an empty chocolate tin and these polvorons fit in perfectly, like I was meant to make them!

art is in the kitchen said...

I recognize your polvorones in any disguise! They look perfect in all the colors! They must taste as great! I will actually make some in different forms with a Chinese twist i'm sure you'll recognize. Love the way you package them. They look like the ones they sell in the Philippines. Cheers!

Unknown said...

Heya Arthur, glad to see you back here again! I can't wait to see your version with that Chinese twist...now you've got me all curious!

Sandra said...

:)) Love what you wrote about Nancy..isn't she just wonderful?
These look soo tasty and beautiful, Maya...you should totally submit it to YBR..
Have a great day!!!

Tiffany said...

I've never had polvoron... thanks for sharing! I absolutely love learning about new dishes!

Nancy said...

Polvorones!!! Ok Maya you just never cease to amaze me. You always have plenty of "tricks up your sleeve" Your truly are a kitchen goddess, so talented and creative. That's why I love your blog so much. I grew up with polovones but never made them, I'm making your Matcha ones soon. BTW thank you for your sweet words, it's a great way to end my night :)

spcookiequeen said...

Never had Polvorones, but want some now. I've never seen that cute press, well have to keep my peepers open. Hope you kiddies showered you with kindness and treats on Mother's Day. YBR is always amazing isn't it.
-Gina-

Christina Kim said...

These are Spanish shortbreads???? They looked so colorful and I am sure, flavorful, with all the exotic flavors that you are using as well :)
They just look so unique and delicious!!~

Unknown said...

That looks great! I never thought of using dragon fruit in polvoron.

Magic of Spice said...

These look and sound amazing! I have never tried polvoron, but now I want to :)

Manu said...

I just saw these over at YBR! They look so pretty and they must taste divine! I LOVE the presentation: so classy!

Unknown said...

Hey Manu, thanks so much. Talking about classy, I think your chocolate macarons are the bomb! So beautiful... :-)

Katherine said...

Wow! Just saw this at YBR and these are so cool! I've never heard of polvoron but now I want to try them. Love your step-by-step photos.

Priscilla - She's Cookin' said...

I've never had polvoron, but I love shortbread and the match and dragon fruit add a unique flavor! Beautiful colors, too. Would love to try them :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails