Foodiva's Kitchen: Muffin Monday - Eggnog Muffins

Monday, December 26, 2011

Muffin Monday - Eggnog Muffins

The rays of happiness, like those of light, are colorless when unbroken.
~ Henry W. Longfellow

In most countries around the world, today is a public holiday or at the very least, the day after a public holiday. Whether you celebrated Christmas or not, I hope yesterday was good for you (and yours, if you're with them). I am writing this early, so that when this post gets published, I will be on a beach or in a pool somewhere under the hot sun. Hang on.... that sounds very much like everyday at home. Let me rephrase that - I will be going nowhere far but shall be taking a bit of a blogging break this week to ponder about the things I'd like to happen in 2012. In my life, I mean.


As I'm writing this, it's 3 days till Christmas and I'm feeling bad because most of my seasons greeting cards are sitting on my dresser, not yet mailed. Well, they have to be written in first before they can be posted, and I'm stalling on the writing part. Lately, I seem to have acquired a super-clingy new best friend and she goes by the name, Procrastination. I'm still trying to figure out how to give her the slip.


To cheer me up today though, 'P' (my new friend's nick) and I baked some eggnog-flavored muffins for Muffin Monday. Not having any eggnog essence, we stuck with vanilla and it still tasted great. Just for fun, P suggested we pipe some muffin batter into clean, empty eggshells just to go with the 'Egg'nog theme. She's so entertaining, that girl! 

Well, since I had oh...hours to waste, I agreed and we used this technique by SandeeA to attain our egg-shaped muffins. We didn't make them with the suggested topping in the original recipe, instead we sprinkled some crushed peppermint candy cane over the batter. These eggnog muffins had some serious swag, and they tasted delightful to boot!



Note: Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop Anuradha a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week. 


Eggnog Muffins
(recipe from King Arthur Flour)
Makes: 12 muffins
Batter
1/4 cup (1/2 stick, 2 ounces) butter
3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) sugar
2 large eggs
2 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon eggnog flavor or 1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) eggnog or half and half

Topping*
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) sugar
1/2 cup (2 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon eggnog flavor, optional
3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) butter, melted
*(I used crushed peppermint candy cane)

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper or silicone muffin cups, and grease the cups with non-stick vegetable oil spray; this will ensure that they peel off the muffins nicely.

2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar till smooth. Add the eggs, beating for several minutes and scraping the bowl, till the mixture is smooth and light colored. Beat in the baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and eggnog flavor or vanilla.

3. Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the eggnog or half and half, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups.

4. Stir together all of the topping ingredients JUST till crumbly. Stir gently, and don't overmix; you don't want to turn this crumbly topping into a solid mass. Sprinkle the topping over the muffins.

5. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes, or until they're a pale golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and serve warm, or at room temperature.

18 comments:

Baker Street said...

i love the idea of baking in eggshells! Your muffins look fantastic! Candy cane is another great addition! Happy Holidays Maya!


Cheers!
A

Cher Rockwell said...

Clever!
Sometimes, procrastination isn't the worst thing. At times, it is nature's way of telling us to stop and smell the roses... The trick is knowing when to give it the boot.

Good luck!

Happy New Year & I hope you are soaking up the sunshine :-)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

These are BEAUTIFUL!!! I did the egg shell trick with brownies...and it was the most tedious process ever! So I admire your determination...great presentation! xo

Let Me Eat Cake said...

what a great display! i love your creative take on these muffins!

Vicki Bensinger said...

These sound great and such fun. I made something similar at Easter but they weren't as pretty as yours.

Stay-At-Home-Chef said...

Oh how cute are your muffins?! LOVE the eggshell idea - adorable! Glad to see we have a mutual acquaintance; Procrastination ;)

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious dessert
happy holidays to you and family

Joyti said...

SOOO cute! I love the idea of baking them in an eggshell. And eggnog flavor...sounds delicious.
Happy holidays!

Aimee White said...

SUCH a great post! Cleverly written and cleverly executed! I was wondering how you achieved those amazing muffin domes! I've got to try this!

Happy holidays to you and P! ;)

Daisy@Nevertoosweet said...

I've never had eggnog :( but i wouldn't mind starting with eggnog muffins hehe and i love the ones in the egg shells!!! :) Happy Holidays Maya!

Rosita Vargas said...

Oh mi dios admiro su creación es un arte culinario me encanta,luce perfecto,abrazos y felices fiestas.

Tasty Trix said...

Well it seems to me that you and your new besty are creating wonderful things together! She's never been that good to me! : p

Adrian (Food Rehab) said...

What a muffin! Stellar idea - looks wicked. I was addicted to eggnog over the last few days.

Purabi Naha said...

Hi, this looks fabulous! Love eggnog in any form. Wish you Happy New Year in advance! Looking forward to sharing a lot of recipes with you in the coming year! Have a great time!
http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

Cooking Rookie said...

I also made one of these eggshell recipes recipes, mine was muffins. It's such a cool idea, but sooo much work :-). Your eggnog flavor is such a perfect idea for the holidays ;-), I am sure it was delicious and was worth the effort. Happy 2012, Maya!

Unknown said...

Those are so cute! I love that you put it in a egg shell.

Only Fish Recipes said...

first time in your space...wow...they look so cute in a egg shell....wonderful job...I'm ur new follower now...do visit my space sometime :-)wishing u n ur family a very happy new year ahead !

Nancy said...

Hi Maya! I hope your time at the beach or pool was a relaxing one. Also hoping that you were able to decide on you plans for 2012 :) Now I'm laughing because I had to get candy canes shipped to me from the states and there you are in your exotic land with a candy cane, wth ?:) I need to make these muffins before I eat all my candy canes. Loving the idea of the "egg"nog, too cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails